Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Hero and The Hedge



Well, I am pretty sure my day has involved too much physical exertion. For starters, my gym did a 'hero' workout this morning. Hero workouts are in honor of a military person who has given their life serving their country. In this case, we did a workout called 'Glen' in honor of Glen Doherty. Glen was a friend of someone who workouts at our gym. He was a US Navy Seal and he died in the attack on the US consolate in Libya in 2012. If the intensity of 'his' workout is any sign, he must have been a total bad ass.

For time:
95 pound Clean and jerk, 30 reps
Run 1 mile
15 foot Rope climb, 10 ascents
Run 1 mile
100 Burpees

At first I was thinking that just doing half the workout was a great idea, but a couple other ladies were doing the entire workout, so I had no choice. Of course, each of these items by itself is usually the length of one of our workouts. For instance, just this last tuesday our workout was a mile run! It was tough, but not impossible AND I didn't finish last!! I just used slow and steady as a motto. One extra sucky part is that my gym is on a hill so our mile involves an 800 meter uphill run! The second time I did that I was not happy. And the burpees, well I was a bit dizzy during most of those. It takes a long time to do 100 burpees. And by that time all the fast people had finished (they also started earlier) and were doing their best to make sure those of us still at is kept moving!

Anyhow, it was fun. And after a bunch of food and a nap, life was feeling possible again. Unfortunately, as I was lying on the porch relaxing (100% perfect 75 degree day) - drinking tea and reading a book - I started hearing voices. The lawn wanted mowing, the floor wanted vacuuming, the garden wanted weeding and the very loudest voice of all, the hedge wanted hedging!

Hedge arm.

You may remember my hedge. It was the subject of not one, not two, but THREE blogs back in 2010 (Project Hedge 1, project hedge 2, Hedgehog Massacre). I don't want it to turn into the massive project it was then, so I listened to the screaming, got off my lazy ass and expended yet another round of precious energy. I even managed to do a decent job, though I ignored the hedge mullet (my hedge has a row of long branches at the back that I can't reach without huge amounts of work).

Phew! Now just a dog to walk and I will collapse in a heap for the rest of the night and watch the Walking Dead. Whoooooo, yes, that is all I can handle for S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y NIGHT! (Song reference for those who didn't recognize it.)

No comments: