Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Getting Carded

I have gotten carded TWO TIMES in the last week. The first time it happened I was annoyed, I looked at the woman thinking, why are you bothering me with this nonsense, clearly I am over 21. But then I decided it was kind of cool. I mean, I don't think anyone actually thinks I'm under 21, but maybe they think I'm some age that should still be carded - 30ish? Early 30ish? Maybe?

As many of you know, it was my birthday last week. I turned an age that, well, maybe needs to be considered middle age. According to Wikipedia, the Oxford English Dictionary defines middle age as "the period between early adulthood and old age, usually considered as the years from about 45 to 65". Others classify it 40-65. Both would be me (46). But, I don't want to be middle aged. I have very negative connotations of middle age women. When I think middle age I think suburban, over weight, a couple kids (not that kids is a negative thing), mini van, polyester, not very happy, helmet hair. None of these are things that I want to be. Actually, I think I can say pretty safely that none of these are things I am.

Here's what else wikipedia has to say "Physical fitness usually wanes, with a 5–10 kg (10-20 lb) accumulation of body fat, reduction in aerobic performance and a decrease in maximal heart rate. " Okay, so none of those things have happened either. Maybe one is only middle age if they gain weight and get lazy and out of shape. Maybe one in only middle age if they DON'T GET CARDED TWICE IN ONE WEEK.

Last week. I squatted 176 pounds 15 times. I deadlifted 200 pounds 24 times. I cleaned and jerked 77 pounds 91 (yes 91!) times (that's 7007 pounds from ground to over head in 17 minutes). And I bench pressed my body weight. So, maybe I get a couple more years before I turn middle age.......

We'll talk next year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for getting carded! You’re only as old as you as you feel or act! Last time I got carded, I asked the clerk if she was just flattering me. She gave me an annoyed look and promptly informed me that they are required to card everyone. Wah wah…perhaps I should take up cross-fit…