Monday, June 7, 2010

Bianchi Love


As I've mentioned, I commute to work daily via my bike. It's a SLOW SLOG. There is absolutely nothing sexy or bad ass about it. I have a Specialized Allez Pro that I bought in 1989. It's a nice solid steel road bike that does the job, in that nice solid steel road bike kind of a way. It is frequently very dirty. And doesn't get much love of the tune up variety. It gets rained on in the winter. Well, really it gets rained on in the fall, spring and summer as well. Sometimes I get really excited and clean it and I'm pretty good about changing brake pads. But, otherwise, I just expect it to do the job without any feedback or inspiration from me.

This works well, except every couple years it goes through a complete meltdown and insists on many hundreds of dollars in new parts and equipment. It's been working on meltdown for a few months now and finally I had to suck it up and take it to the shop. And unfortunately, it's so far gone they wouldn't even tune it up without some major investments.......

In the meantime, I pulled out the Bianchi. Way back in the day, when I was cool and rode fast and could razzle and dazzle everyone with my biker legs, I raced bikes. Not only did I race, but one season (well my only season) I won this ultra slick Bianchi frame. I don't ride it much any more and I forget how much I love it. I get on the Bianchi and I'm suddenly fast and powerful and a sexy biker chick again. It's super stiff, extra ultra light, and lightening fast! Watch out south end commuters, no more passing me!