Saturday, March 28, 2009

Guilty Pleasure #3, Pop Music

So cute, okay not really, but good hair.

So for some reason I have difficultly owning up to this guilty pleasure. I feel like I lose many coolness point by not knowing/listening to the newest coolest music. And really, I don't have a huge number of coolness points to lose. The problem is that I have many friends who are very cool musically. They were punk rock long before punk rock was trendy. They work in the music industry. They know the perfect slightly unknown hip music to play for any occasion. They can DJ a dance party and keep the kids happy all night long. Me, not so much.

It started bad. My first album was Shawn Cassidy - Da Do Ron Ron. Well, actually my first albums were the Grease soundtrack (I know every word on every song for all 2 disks) and the Bugsy Malone soundtrack. But, my first non soundtrack album was Shawn Cassidy. Though in my defense I don't remember or retain a burning love for Shawn or his music. I do remember and retain a burning love for the Grease sountrack, Beauty School drop out, Stranded at the Drive In, Summer Nights, Hopelessly Devoted.

Then through high school and college I never seemed to move beyond pop. Actually, I don't remember listening to music much in high school, but in college I have fond memories of Phil Collins and Genesis. My friend Greg and I used to spend hours listening to Genesis Abacab (what the heck is abacab?). Then there was 'In The Air Tonight', I seem to remember hours and hours of just one that one song.

Does this man look at all cool?

After college I seemed to develop a fondness for metal, turning to Metallica, Soundgarden and Guns and Roses. I think all those bands can win a coolness point or two, but the guilty pleasure came in the form of rock ballads. I love a good rock ballad. Every Rose Has it's Thorn, by Poison. 18 and Life by Skid Row. Why do I like these things so much? My all time favorite rock ballad, and maybe one of my favorite songs of all time, Beth by Kiss.

Ah, poor Beth, I hear her crying.

I got an ipod shuffle for my 40th birthday. It and it's newer brother my ipod nano are full of some good music. But when I'm out running or walking the dog I tend to skip over those in favor of the top 40 pop singles I have downloaded. Brittney Spears, Oops I Did it Again, Justin Timberlake SexyBack, Nelly Furtado, Pink. I'm not sure what it is about this music. Maybe it's just the beat that gets you moving and sucks you in.

Britney, Otto and I, walking Beacon Hill.

Anyhow, I must go put in some music, mmm, Best of Rod Stewart? If you want my body and you think I'm sexy come on sugar let me know...................





2 comments:

Wiz-EL said...

You have tons of coolness points--and I have The Pussycat Dolls and Christina Agulera's "Beautiful" on my iPod. Right next to Bad Brains, Judas Priest and The Game.. And "So You Wana Be a Boxer" and "Bad Guys"..

I still remember you and Suz wouldn't let me in the living room while you were playing the Grease record-because I had refused to go in on it with you.. Stranded at the Drive-In for sure..

Jen said...

i think we saw grease at that drive in near your hood canal place, right? we loved that movie....