Saturday, January 5, 2013

Twelve!

Just like this, though I had my shirt on.
 I have been doing Crossfit for 4.5 years now. Back in the day, every other workout felt like I had achieved a new milestone. But these days, there aren't many days when I leave the gym feeling like I have attained a new goal. My strength and ability to do various exercises or weights ebb and flow. Frequently, I am at or close to a PR (personal record). Sometimes I just suck. Most of the time I leave feeling like I worked hard and had fun. But yesterday, I was proud of myself.

Every few months we have a workout with rope climbs. They frequently involve two rope climbs then a bunch of other work. Usually a couple people in the gym do both the rope climbs, but most members just do one or a substitution. For a couple years, after I got over the terror of climbing 20 feet in the air, I have been in the camp of 'try 2, but settle into 1 after the first round' or so. I think September 2011 was the first time  I did two in a row. We did a workout with 5 sets of two rope climbs. I got half way up my second climb in the second round I got really shaky and gave up.

Well, yesterday's workout was.

6 Rounds - 7 Minutes each
2 rope climbs
5 deadlifts (85k)
15 push ups 
30 double unders

When I got there, only 5 people all day had done the full workout. And i was dead set on getting all twelve rope climbs. AND (drum roll please), I did!  It wasn't hard until the 2nd climb on the 5th round. Then the second climb on the 6th round was a bit touch and go. I almost called it quits a couple times. And I later found out pretty much everyone was watching me and wasn't sure it was going to happen. My biceps basically started giving out. When you rope climb. You make a ledge with your feet. So, when your feet are on the rope you can actually stand there and rest. BUT, at some point you have to hold on with your arms only and place your legs higher up on the rope. That's tough when your biceps decide to call it quits. 

Anyhow done! And my time per round was actually pretty good (until the last round).
 

2 comments:

erbeck family said...

nice to have your hardwork pay off! must be all that bone broth....

Unknown said...

I'm really, really proud of you! I'm afraid of heights so I could never do that.