Thursday, June 2, 2011

Purslane Blues

Happy purslane!

You may think you're looking at dirt, but this is my purslane crop!

A year ago when I was contemplating my gardening project I was buying a lot of purslane. I went to this farmer's market regularly and one of the farmers sold purslane. He advertised it as a 'superfood'. Never one to pass up on magic food that can cure all ills, I decide to give it a try. And fell in love. It's got a bit of a lemony crunchy taste, it's great in salads (I eat lots of salad), plus, it's a wonder food. It has more omega-3 fatty acids than any other green leafy vegetable. It's also chock full of vitamins a, c, some bs, iron, magnesium, calcium, and potassium. And if that wasn't enough, it makes your brain happy. One website claims purslane has 'positive effects' on the brain. Possibly combatting depression, bipolar disorder, alzheimers, autism, schizophrenia, attention deficit disorder and hyperactivity. And really, whose brain couldn't use a little extra help.

The farmer told me that purslane is a weed. So I did a little research and it was the first plant I decided I wanted to grow in my garden. I was so excited that I added a 'note' on my phone so I wouldn't forget about it. I was also excited because it's a weed. Who can't grow a weed? I figured it was a shoe in!

So, when I started my garden, the first thing I did was go online and order purslane seeds. When they arrived, I added them to the 'professional greenhouse' (see previous post) and waited and watched. And nothing. The purslane all popped their little heads up, then nothing. After a while they just died. All the other vegetables did something. (Some of them didn't do anything very exciting, but everyone did enough to make it outside, except the purslane.)

So I went with plan B and just decided to throw some seeds in my new garden beds. So far the outside purslane is giving me about as much love as the inside purslane. It popped its head up and then nothing. It's so sad, as I have been awaiting this event for a year now! If anyone has any sway over the purslane gods, please put in a good word on my behalf! I'll invite you over for salad!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, you’ve inspired me to try growing this. From what I’ve read, it seems like it needs pretty warm temps, so I’ll try growing it in the greenhouse. Where did you get your seeds? Johnny’s Seeds (which I love especially since they’re employee owned) is the only place I’ve been able find so far. I’m more than happy to order from them, but if you’ve got a local source, that’d be great! Can we get an update on the new raised beds? :-)