Saturday, November 17, 2012

Whine Whine Whine

Today we get to cover the 'Day in the Life' of an injured person. First, let me start with a little disclaimer. I know in the scheme of injuries, mine is minor. I am not permanently hurt or disfigured (well there might be a little permanent disfigurement). I am going to experience some minor discomfort for a few weeks and be back to normal. BUT, in the spirit of 'it's my blog and I can cry if I want to', let the whining begin!

Tuesday started out as a normal, even good day. I headed off to the gym in the early am. After some cleaning (the heavy weight kind not the tedious endless house cleaning kind) we started the work out - 7 rounds of 9 burpees, 9 high box jumps (24 inches) and 9 toes to bar (not to be confused with a WOD). The workout rocked. I was totally pushing myself. I was feeling so good I was doing 10 of everything instead of 9, and then happened. It happened so quickly I don't really know what I did. I guess somehow I caught a foot on the box (probably the right, because that side doesn't work properly) and then my left shin hit the box. And boom! It didn't hurt. It didn't feel like a really nasty fall, but the second I looked at my shin, I knew I was in trouble. Deep, nasty gauge!

Apologies for not having a picture of the actual gaping wound!

 Now, I'm one that pretty much refuses to go to the doctor. In my life I have found that in most cases, when you finally decide you have to go to the doctor for a specific reason, you end up being better as soon as you make the appointment. Or, even if you're not better, the doctor is worthless anyhow. But I was pretty sure this needed some attention.

So, a week into the new job, I called my boss to say I'd be late and headed to the emergency room. Where I proceeded to see $$ signs in front of my eyes every time the doctor blinked, some new person walked into my room, or they opened yet another package of something.

I walked out with 5 stitches! (Well, limped out and called a cab.)

In the intervening five days since, things have been exciting. I have sat on my increasingly sore ass with my leg elevated.

 I have whined about pain (even though it's really not that bad). I have whined about not being able to work out. I have whined about not being able to sleep properly. I have realized how much I move on a daily basis - walking, riding to work, crossfiting. I have watched bad tv and the Hunger Games (not bad). And I have felt generally out of sorts and lethargic.

In addition,  I have failed in my fight to convince the dog he doesn't need to be walked and settled for driving him to the park for very short walks.

Otto during the 'we don't need to walk' conversation

But, it's not all bad, one bright shiny spot in my otherwise grey week was the purchase of these beauties.

I am ridiculously excited about these!
And, we're about to enter Thanksgiving week. So I will pull myself up by my bootstraps (avoiding the shin), put all whining aside and bask in the glow of beauty, happiness, and the giving of thanks. I will think of all I have to be thankful for rather than bemoaning this minor set back. I will be Ms. Glass Half Full. And extra happy, because my glass will not only be half full, but I can measure exactly how much is in it!

Otto's excited to celebrate!
In other news, Happy Seventh Anniversary to Otto and me!


tracy said...

i won't show your blog post to true, who loves to box jump. heal quickly my friend!

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling, sister. Go ahead and wallow. Watch out for bed sores. -- sc