Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Heroes

Muscle up

She probably isn't kissing the ball for good luck, like I would have done.

Wall Ball

Sumo Deadlift High Pull

I think this bar was about 90 pounds.


So as not to keep Michael in anticipation any longer......

The woman okay, girl, pictured in the previous post is my new hero. She was competing at the NW Crossfit Regional Games on Saturday. And she was so beautiful and graceful completing a workout that did not inspire beauty or grace in many others.

The workout consisted of 2 muscle ups (start hanging from a set of rings and pull yourself to the rings then push yourself over the rings - pull up then dip), 30 wall balls (you've heard me discuss those ad nauseum), and 6 very heavy sumo deadlift high pulls (start with a bar on the ground and pull it up so it's at the bottom of your chin). You had to do all that 5 times. Her time was the 4th fastest for the women. Actually, she was one of only seven (out of 27) women who could do the exercise unscaled (ie muscle ups instead of pull ups and full weight for the SMHP) and finished in the allotted time.

A little about her...... Her name is Kallista and she is 15. She is home schooled and a gymnast. Her dad is her coach and started her doing crossfit at 11 years old! I think her family runs a crossfit gym out of their home and she is one of the coaches.

Now here is why she is my hero. Last year she went to the national crossfit games. Now you can go onto youtube and watch some videos from the games. They are super intense. I think there are 4 or 5 separate workouts that you compete in over the course of two days. The athletes there are serious and super strong. Strong like I could never imagine being strong (and I consider myself pretty strong). So, she's at the games last year. She's 14 and the final work out is a 'heavy' Grace. Grace is 30 clean and jerks. In a clean and jerk you basically lift a weight off the ground to chest level, then you squat, then you have to thrust the weight over your head. The women were doing this with 100lbs. Kallista weighs 103. I can't imagine any of it. Being away from home, being 14, and having to lift my body weight over my head 30 times. And it's not like she was part of a group of kids, she was probably the only kid competing. I guess there is now a crossfit workout called the Kallista where you do Grace at body weight. I watched video of some guy doing it- he threw up at the end. Anyhow, at rep 22 she got off balance lifting the weight and fell- I think she got hit by the bar. Yet, some how she managed to get back up and finish the workout. There is video of it, it's super intense.

Anyhow, I think she rocks!

Sorry if the pictures aren't great, I learned it's really hard to take pictures of crossfit.

1 comment:

erbeck family said...

i just love that she is not crazy muscled out. she looks like a girl, a fit girl, but cuddly still.
so berta, one of your goals was to be able to do a muscle up...how is that going? that's one hell of a goal!